Author Topic: Purified Water Storage  (Read 1843 times)

consulting313

• City: Deerfield
  • Organisation: Globepharm
Purified Water Storage
« on: August 02, 2012, 04:49:51 PM »
Friends:

If I have either a hot (>80oC) Purified Water storage tank, or if I have a Purified Water storage tank that is constantly ozonated (later removed by UV), is there any need for a hydrophobic anti-microbial vent filter? My question arises because in either case if bacteria do enter through the tank vent they will be destroyed either by the heat or the ozone.

Does anyone know of a GMP or other regulatory agency requirement (EU, US, WHO, or any other guideline)  that requires, or even recommends, that I must install a hydrophobic anti-microbial vent filter in this situation?

All comments would be welcome,
Thanks, With Best Regards,

Joe

Re: Purified Water Storage
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2012, 02:01:28 PM »
I do not hear about vent filter as "requirement", it is part of the DQ, if you design your system for having ozone and you probe that your tank meets your quality requirements (during your validation stage and  later with your monitoring program), it is all you need.

Joe

Pradeep.Mishra

• City: Mumbai
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2012, 05:35:42 AM »
Dear consulting313:

If we understand the basic need of vent filter on the tank then i think it is not required to discuss.

Whenever the water coming from Generation system enters the Storage tank there is change in volume of air present in the tank and must be vent out or in during level changes in the tank. so irrespective of any guideline it becomes a requirement of the system. Hence we provide vent filter.

In case you want to keep it as simple opening & rely on UV or Hot water to kill the microbes, the tank is going to be a hub for biofilms as the water in loop only passes through these system.

Other comments...

ONKAR NATH SINGH

• City: Daman
  • Organisation: Aristo Pharmaceuticals Pvt Limited
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2012, 12:36:59 PM »
Let me explain;

Requirement is Hydrophobic microbial retention filter.
Hydrophibic to avoid the filter getting wet from water or vapour from the tank and microbial retention is to retain microbe while air is pushed in from environment to tank because of shift in the volume.

In addition objective is not killing of microbes but to avoid enterance. By killing microbes in purifed water you will increase biomass which is not a good practices. This may lead to failure in TOC and may be endotoxin too.

Hope got clear....
O.N.SINGH

bharatbuk

• City: mumbai
  • Organisation: Bharat Book Bureau
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2013, 03:47:19 AM »
Avoiding Entrance of microbes will be better option. good advice 'ONKAR'.

Search the V1 and V2 PharmWeb Discussion Forum Archive